...3... philosophising part three... ( 3 out of 18 )...

dear  son  taue…
dear  son  peter…

well…  after  last  week’s  interruption…
which…  fortunately…  had  a  happy-end…
I  decided  to  continue  with  the  stories  of  my  life…
since  last  email  was  a  little  bit…  too  much  scientific…
and…   nothing  like  to  listen  to  a  story  more  human…
as  opposed  to  the  more  scientific  ones…

(  it  seems  to  me  that  the  stories  which  are  more  human…
    “get  in”  more  easily…  they  are  easier  to  “digest”…)

but  this  doesn’t  mean  that  the   scientific-type-of-stories   are  worthless…
they  are  important  too…
it’s  like  in  life…
sometimes  we  are  not  too  enthusiastic  about  doing  a  certain  type  of  activity…
(  to  clean  the  dust  off  the  room…  for  instance…)
but  we  have  to  do  it  anyway…

because  if  we  don’t…
we  would  end-up  breathing-in  all  that  dust…
which  obviously  is  not  good  for  us…

(  although  I  read  once  in  a  book…  in  a  humoristic  tone…
   that…  it’s  been  scientifically  proved  that…
   once  the  dust  reaches  three  centimeters  high…
   we  don’t  have  to  clean  it  anymore…
   because…  it’s  been  proved…
   that…  beyond  those  three  centimeters…
   it’s  impossible  to  accumulate  more  dust…)

---   ---   ---

we  had  stopped  our  story…  in  recife…
at  age  four…  ( or  five )…
sitting…  all  day  long  on  the  front-yard-wall…
watching  the  cars  pass  by…
thinking  on  nothing…
just  savoring  the  moment…
without  deep  thoughts…
without  deep  worries…

it  seems  like  my  childhood  was  sectioned  in  a  series  of  three-years-periods:
the  three  first  years  of  life…  in  boston…
the  three  next   years…  in  recife…
and…  the  three  next  ones  ( from  six  to  nine-years-old…)…  in  rio-de-janeiro…

more  precisely…  in  a  neighborhood  which  is  on  the  border  of  jardim-botanico…
…and   gavea…
with  a  road  made  of  those  little-rectangular-stone-blocks…

a  place  resembling  “the  vila”…  in  ipanema…
where  you  used  to  play  with  juninho…  and  the  other  kids  at  “the  vila”…

the  aura  was  similar…
we  used  to  play  soccer…
on  the  sidewalk…
without  much  fussiness…
it  wasn’t  necessary  a  soccer  field…
in  order  to  play  soccer…

the  sidewalk  was  just  perfect…

I  used  to  study  in  a  public  school  by  the  “lagoa”  area…
and  take  the  trolley-bus  to  school…
I  was  eight-years-old…  when  my  mother  said  that  I  could  take  my  sister  clarice…
( who  was  four-years-old )  to  her  kindergarten…
which  was  located  right  in  front  of  my  school…

and…  that  was  the  scene…
me  at  age  eight…  taking  my  sister  ( age  four )…  to  her  school…
and…  from  there…  going  to  my  classes  on  the  other  side  of  the  road…

good  times…  no  violence…  a  life  with  no  stress…

my  mother  used  to  give  me  the  exact  amount-of-money…
for  the  trolley-bus-ticket…
at  the  end-of-classes…  I  didn’t  have  to  pick up  my  sister  anymore…
because  my  mother  had  already  done  it…
since  my  sister’s  classes  ended  before  mine…

so…  at  the  end  of  classes…
since  I  had  the  exact   amount-of-money  for  the  trolley-bus-ticket…
I  rather…   instead  of  taking  the  trolley-bus…
I  rather  spend  the  money  on  a  little-bag  of  pop-corn…
and…  walk  home…

arriving  at  my  home-street…  even  before  going  home…
I  used  to  “dive”  into  the  soccer-game  with  my  friends…  on  the  side-walk…
a  very  calm  life…   with  no  deep  worries…

but…  not  everything  in  the  garden  was  rosy…
in  contrast  to  my  life  of  a  dreamer  in  recife…  sitting  on  the  front-yard-wall…
thinking  on  nothing…    just  living…

there…  on  rio-de-janeiro…
at  age  eight...
I  passed  through  an  experience...  that  made  me  see  the  reality:
not  everything  in  the  garden  is  rosy…

one  day…  as  I  was  coming  home  from  school…  on  foot…
as  I  approached  the  street…   with  everybody  playing  soccer…
I  started  saying…
“you  can  throw  me  the  ball…!!
  like  a  “shower”  throw…!!
  so  I  can  head  it…!!...”

and…  at  this  moment…  all  my  friends  totally  ignored  me…
as  if  I  wasn’t  existing  at  all…
they  didn’t  pay  any  attention  to  my  presence…
they  wanted  to  make  sure  that  I  was  being  ignored  by  them…
in  a  way  that  I’ve  never  seen  anything  like  that…
in  my  whole  life…

at  this  point…  I  didn’t  understand  anything…
I  thought  to  myself…  “what  is  going  on…?”

I  asked  them…
they  answered…  saying  that…
they  were  “giving  me  the  cold  shoulder”…

I  didn’t  know  what  the  expression  “give  the  cold  shoulder”  means…
they  explained:
“ it’s  when  somebody  stops  talking  to  another  one…
    for  some  reason…”

then  I  asked  what  was  the  reason…
they  told  me…
but  even  today…  I  still  don’t  remember  what  was  the  reason…

( I  think  I  was  so  shocked  with  the  “cold-shoulder”  episode  itself…
  that…  when  they  explained  me  the  reason…
  my  mind  probably  wasn't  in  conditions  to  understand  what  they  were  saying...
  and  I  didn’t  ask  them  to  repeat  the  explanation… either...  )  

I  became  a  little-bit  disturbed  with  this  first  experience  on  my  life…
of  feeling  that…  the  society…  the  group  of  friends…
has  this  capacity  for  rejecting  someone…

and…  life  is  a  sequence  of  lessons  of  this  type…
life  keeps  moving  on…
episodes  like  this-one  keep  on  happening…
regardless  of  the  age…

we  keep  on  knowing  new  people…
we  start  to  feel  relaxed  and  at  home  with  them…
and…  suddenly…  something  happens…
we  hear  something  from  them  that  suddenly  surprises  us…
and  it  does  get  us  by  surprise…

it’s  like  receiving  a  big  “punch”  in  the  face…
life…  often  embarrasses  us  with  something  similar…

but  this  kind  of  thing  doesn’t  happen  only  between  two  people…
sometimes  such  surprises…  such  disappointments…
show  up   between  a  person  and  an  institution…
between  a  person  and  a  government…
between  a  person  and  a  school…
between  a  person  and  the  corporation  where  he  (she)  works…

when  I  was  in  Hawaii…  still  on  my  first  years  there…
when  I  was  studying  for  my  master’s  in  math…
working  hard  to  be  a  “straight-A”  student…
I  used  to  do  my  homeworks  in  an  exaggerated  diligent  way…

on  the  first  semester  I  got  an  “A”…
on  the  second  semester  I  got  a  “B”…
on  the  third  semester  I  got  a  “B”…
on  the  fourth  semester  I  got  a  “C”…

suddenly…  I  received  a  letter  from  school…
saying  that  I  was  in  “probation”…
that  is…  if  I  didn’t  get  an  “A”  on  the  next  semester…
I  would   be  “kicked-out”  of  school…

that  was  a  kind  of  a  “punch”  in  my  face…
to  realize  that  they  had  been  so  harsh  on  me…
yes...  on  me…  who  had  tried  to  do  my  best…
as  a   “straight-A”   student…

but…  this  time…  in  this  case…  I  let  myself  get  too  much  depressed…
because  of  a  simple  little  letter  coming  from  school…

I  should…  ( facing  the  problem  brought  by  the  letter…)
I  should  have  tried  to  go  there…
to  get  more  information  about  what  was  going  on…
I  should  have  tried  to  listen  to  the  opinion  of  my  teachers…
who  deeply  knew  me…

…  instead  of  letting  myself  get  so  depressed  by  a  letter…
that  maybe  was  sent  by  an  administrative-office  of  the  university…
which…  maybe…  had  nothing  to  do  with  the  math-department  itself…

but…  the  world  keeps  spinning…
after  that  letter…
by  coincidence…   my  sciatic  nerve  got  worst  to  the  point…
that  I  couldn’t  neither  sit…  nor  stand  up…
I  really  had  to…  quit  the  math  program…
I  ended  up  enrolling  myself  into  the  music  department…
which…  definitely…  would  add  much  more  to  myself…
as  a  human-being…   than  the  math  would  do...

and…  returning  to  my  friends  pals  who  used  to  play  soccer  with  me…
at  the  time  I  was  eight-years-old…

after  the  "cold-shoulder"  episode…
fortunately…  in  two  or  three  days…
everything  went  back  to  normal…
my  relationship  with  the  group  turned  out  to  be  the  same…

children…  in  general…  don’t  keep  too  much  resentments…
they  fight  on  one  day…  and  on  the  next  one  everything  is  fine…

this  capacity  to  forget  the  fight…
and  to  forgive…
the  capacity  of  being  able  to  say…  “ let’s  move  on “…
this  capacity  of  the  human  being…
I  consider…  a  very  good  one…

see  you  next  time…?
see  you  next  time…

I  want  to  give  a  very  tight  hug…
on  you  two…  my  sons…
with  tenderness…
your  father…
                       …luis antonio…