...7... philosophising part seven... ( 7 out of 18 )...

dear  son  taue…
dear  son  peter…

as  I  described….  on  my  previous  email…
how  much  thankful  I  am  to  my  mother…
for  being  so  kind  and  careful…  to  the  point  of  motivating  me…
to  be  a  person  who  loves  to  study  …

as  I  was  describing  that…   I  forgot  to  say…
that  during  the  process  of  “becoming  a  person  who  loves  to  study”…
there  exists  a  fase-of-transition…   a  fase  in  which…
there’s  a  kind  of  “pain-feeling”…
a  fase  where  the  child  suffers…
as  he  realizes  how  difficult  it  is…  to  conform  himself…
with  the  idea  of   letting-go   the   innocent   life  of  a  child…
and  to  move  on  towards  an  acceptance  of  the  discomfort…
typical  of  the  earliest  stages  of  a  process-of- learning…

such  transition  happened  exactly  at  the  time  we  are  talking  about…
at  age  ten…  on  amelia  street…
where  I  was  enjoying  so  much  the  opportunity…
to  walk  barefoot  on  the  dirt…  among  all  those  trees…
of  my  grandmother’s  house…
( as  opposed  to  a  life  inside  an  apartment…
    …where  we  used  to  live  in  rio-de-janeiro…)

my  parents  and  my   brothers  had  arrived  from  rio  to  amelia  street…
in  recife…  right  in  the  middle  of  the  big-summer-vacation…
( that  is:…  december,  january,  february…
   since  summer  here  on  the  south-hemisphere  happens…
   in  an  opposite-period  of  the  north-hemisphere-summer…)

my  family  had  arrived  right  in  the  middle  of  summer  vacation…
and…  since  my  mother  realized  that  I  used  to  stay  all  day…
doing  nothing…
she  decided  to  put  me  to  study…  on  summer-time-vacation…

she  told  me  to  sit  on  the  living-room  table…
she  gave  me  a  note-book…  pencil…  and  an  eraser…
and  told  me  that  I  was  supposed  to…  everyday…
do  about  fifty  or  seventy  math  exercises…
from  a  book  of  math…  called  “Ary Quintella”…
( which  was  the  author’s  name…)

I  couldn’t  believe  on  what  was  happening…
me…?...  would  I  have  to  spend  my  vacations  studying…
…  all  these  boring  exercises…?
oh…  what  a  torture…  what  a  crazy  idea…

I  sat  on  that  chair  in  front  of  that  notebook…  of  that  book…
I  felt  so  bad…
I  felt  like  complaining…
why…  it  has  to  be  me…?
why…  I  have  to  study…?
right  on  vacation…?

my  mother  noted  my  anguish…
and…  calmly…  got  a  scratch-paper…
and…  started  to  explain  to  me…  how  to  do  the  exercises…
and…  from  those  explanations…
I  realized  that  I  would  be  able  to  do  them  by  myself…

so…  what  seemed  first…  to  be  a  torture…
turned  out  to  be  something  good…   to  be  a  pleasure…

I  found  myself  doing  the  other  exercises…
like  I  was  doing  something  fun…
a  game…   an  amusement…

in  short…   that  is  the  magic  of  the  pleasure-of-studying…
once  the  student  gets  a  “jump-start”  from  somebody…
after  that…  the  student  realizes  that  he’s  capable…
of  standing- on- his- own- two- feet…

and…   this  feeling  of  independency…
makes  him  feel  good…
gives  him  a  desire  to  keep  moving  on…
to  keep  developing  himself…

---   ---   ---

in  those  days   the  structure  of  the  brazilian- school- system   was:
1…   the  primary-school…             from  age  6  to  10…
2…   the  gymnasium-school…      from  age  11  to  14…
3…   the  scientific-school…             from  age  15  to  17…

usually…  at  age  18…  the  student  was  making  an  effort  to  pass…
the  “vestibular”  exam…  in  order  to  get  into  college…

since  it  was  a  very  hard  exam…
usually…  the  students  used  to  enroll  themselves…
in  the  famous  “little-schools”…  which  offered   preparatory  courses…
specialized  on  getting  everybody  “in  shape”   for  the  “vestibular”…

---   ---   ---

well…
but…   why  am  I  talking  about  all  that…?

because  on  those  days…   since  I  was  ten-years-old…
I  was  right  on  the  border  between  the  primary  and  gymnasium  schools…

well…  depending  on  the  educational-prestige  of  the  gymnasium-school…
where  the  student  was  intending  to  apply…
if...  the  school  was  good…  with  a  high  educational  level…
then…    the  interested  student  was  required  to  take  an  entrance-exam…
which  was…  usually…  very  hard…

( it  was  like  a  sort  of  a…  “little- vestibular”…
   but…  in  this  case…  from  the  primary-school  to  the  gymnasium-school…
   instead  of…   from  the  scientific-school   to   college )…

so…
one  day  I  saw  some  kids  passing  by  on  the   street  wearing  an  uniform…
it  seemed  like  they  were  masqueraded  as  little-soldiers…
in  a  light-brown  uniform…
… two  red-vertical-stripes  along  the  outer-vertical-line  of  the  trousers…
… a  little  red  hat…  ( the  famous  “cap”  of  the  stewardesses…)
matching  with  the  red  stripes  of  the  trousers…

I  found  it…   superb…
children…
masqueraded  as  true  little  soldiers…

I  asked  my  mother  which  uniform  was  that…
she  explained  to  me  that  they  were  students  from  the  “colegio-militar”…
a  good  school…   with  an  good  educational-system…

she  asked  me  if  I  would  like  to  apply  there…
and  to  try  to  take  the  entrance-exam  to  this  school…

I  said…  yes…
very  happy  to  know…  that  I  was  about  to  enroll  myself…
in  a  school…  where  the  uniforms  of  the  students…
looked  like  the  little-soldiers  of  the  real-world…

and  from  this  point  on…
a  new  trajectory  in  my  life…  just  initiated…
where…   later  on…   I  begin  to  feel  an  enormous  regret…
for  having  this  (unfortunate)  idea  of  enrolling  myself…
in  a  school…  where  the  students  masquerade  themselves…
as  little-tin-soldiers…  
                               …  with  the  red  cap…
 

we  stop  here…
my  dear  sons…

stay  with  God…
all-the-best…
super-hug…
your  father…
                     …luis antonio…