...6... philosophising part six... ( 6 out of 18 )...

dear  son  taue…
dear  son  pedro…


my  family  had  just  arrived  in  recife…
at  the  house  of  my  grandparents  in  amelia  street...
a  house…  full  of  trees…

along  with  the  family…    it  came  also...  one  of  my  father’s  passions:
the  adoration  for  the  swimming-sport…

as  soon  as  he  arrived  in  recife…
the  first  thing  he  did…
was  to  enroll…  me  and  ana emilia…  in  the  swimming-team…
at  the  portugues-club…
a  club  which  was  located  about  one  kilometer  away  from  our  house…

thereafter…  everything  changed  in  my  life…
the  focus  was  not  directed  towards  the  trees  anymore…
I  had  to  go  to  school  in  the  morning…
and…  in  the  afternoon…  to  the  portugues-club…
to  practice  swimming…

in  spite  of  all  these  activities…
life  remained  calm…

to  swim  in  the  northeast-part-of-the-country…
was  much  more  pleasant  than  to  do  it  in  rio-de-janeiro…
the  water  in  rio…  was  much  colder…
whereas  in  recife…  the  water  was  really  nice…
and…  on  the  warm  days…
the  swimming  turned  out  to  be  a  real  pleasure…

my  sister  ana emilia…  was  already  signalizing  that  she  had  a  good  potential…
to  be  a  champion  in  swimming…
this  passion  for  swimming  which  my  father  involved  us…  wasn’t  something  new…
way  before  we  moved  to  recife…   still  living  in  rio…
ana emilia  and  I  used  to  swim  already  at  botafogo-club…
and…  I  remember  well   the  first  day  that  my  father…
took  us  there...  to  introduce  us  to  the  swimming  coach…

there  were  two  coaches…
one...  was  the  argentinian  coach…  called   “Carranza”…
and…  the  other...  was  the  coach  for  the  beginner’s  team…
( a  team  which  didn’t  have  too  much  future…  in  terms  of  championship…)
… his  name  was  “Rui”…

so…  my  father  took  me  and  my  sister  there…  to  botafogo-club…
he  talks  with  the  coach  Carranza…
my  sister  and  I…  jumped  into  the  water…
we  did  a  little  swimming…  so  that  he  could  evaluate  us…

and  then…  Carranza  speaks  to  my  father…
…  “ it’s  obvious…  she… (ana emilia )…  it’s  going  to  stay  with  me” …

and…  at  this  point…  a  doubt  remained…  naturally…  in  the  air…
“…  and…  how  about  him…? ”  …  somebody  asked…

then…   Carranza  responds…
he…  ( it’s  obvious…)   goes  to  Rui…

---   ---   ---

a  sort  of  an  awkward  mood  floated  in  the  air…
after  all… what  was  the  main  difference  between  me  and  my  sister…?

maybe…  because  I  had  a  pair  of  legs  too  thin…?

I  don’t  know…
things  were  handled  in  a  way…  as  if  there  was  no  doubt…
“ ana emilia…  obviously…  is  going  to  be  my  athete…
    but  him…  (  this  little-mouse…)…  it’s  obvious…  he  will  go  to  Rui”…

nothing  was  said  as  above…  of  course…
but…  the  way  he  talked…
“ him…?...  he   goes  to  Rui…”

the  way  he  talked…   did  have  this  kind  of  meaning…
which  is:
 I  obviously  didn’t  have  the  necessary  conditions  to  become  a  champion…
therefore  it  would  be  “foolish”…  it  would  be  a  waste…
to  consider  that  I  could  be  someday  a  champion…

but…  I  didn’t  take  anything  of  that…  very  seriously…
I  went  to  Rui…
my  sister  went  to  Carranza…

we  used  to  practice  everyday…
still  in  rio…  at  the  botafogo-club…
one  or  two  years  before  we  moved  to  recife…
in  a  super-cold  weather…
it  was  like  a  torture  to  deal  with  such  cold  conditions…
specially  during  the  time  of  the  “speed-drills”…
when  we  used  to  swim  the  25-meter-lap…  at  full-speed…
then  we  had  to  get  out  of  the  pool…  to  wait  in  line…
then…  jump  in  the  water  again  for  another  lap  at  full-speed…
get  out  of  the  water…  wait  in  line…  etc…
and…  in  this  process  of  getting-out-of-the-water…  and  get-back-in-line…
that’s  when  the  cold  really  reached  us…  because  of  the  wind…

so…  re-focusing  this  story  from  the  “frozen”  swimming-pool…
of  the  botafogo-club   in  rio-de-janeiro…
to  the  swimming-pool  of  the  portugues-club  in  recife…
with  that  super-nice  and  pleasant  temperature…
which  only  could  be  found  in  a  swimming-pool…
located  in  a  region  like  the  northeast-part-of-the-country…
so…  in  this  case…  oh  boy…  that  was  good…
the  swimming-activity  in  recife  was  something  good…  something  pleasant…

---   ---   ---

my  mother  decides  to  buy  an  used  piano…
she  accommodates  it  in  the  house  at  amelia  street…
she  taught  me  how   to   play  an  italian  song…
I  enjoyed  it…  very  much…

sometimes…  on  saturday  afternoon…
there  was  a  dance-party  at  the  portugues-club…
we  used  to  go  there…  we  used  to  dance  with  other  people…
from  the  swimming-team…    it  was  nice…

one  day…  a  girl  started  to  kiss  me…
my  father  saw  it…  and  gave  me  a  rebuke…
(  I  felt  a  little-bit  embarrassed…)

years  later…  when  my  father  was  already  doing  psychotherapy…
he  asked  me  to  tell  stories  from  the  past  between  me  and  him…
when  I  told  him  the  portugues-club  episode…
in  spite  of  not  remembering  it…
he  became  very  surprised  at  himself…
without  understanding  why  he  would  had  given  me  such  a  rebuke…
( feeling  as  if  he  had  done  something  of  great  stupidity )…

my  contacts  with  my  father…
didn't  occur  very  often…
this  was  due  to  the  fact  that  he  used  to  work  a  lot…
he  was  always  working  very  much…
and…  when  he  arrived  home..
he  was  usually…  very  tired…

but…  with  respect  to  my  mother…  things  were  different…
during  all  my  life…
we  had  always  a  lot  of  things  to  talk  about…

besides  the  habit  of  being  constantly  telling  me  many  stories…
she  knew  how  to  teach…  in  a  way…
that  I  could  rarely  forget  the  subject  of  the  lesson…

she  taught  me  basic  mathematics…
how  to  solve  math  problems…
portuguese…    geography…    english…
she  used  to  sit  with  me  in  front  of  a   record-player…
while  we  listened  to  some  beatles  songs…
she  would  translate  them  to  me…  

the  record  was  the  sargent  pepper’s  lonely  heart  club  band…
while  I  was  reading  the  lyrics  (in  english)  printed  on  the  back-cover  of  the
“long-play”…
she  would  explain  to  me...  its  meaning  in  portuguese…

in  the  song…  “a  day  in  the  life…”
at  the  point   where  they  sing…

“ I  read  the  news  today  oh  boy
   About  a  lucky  man  who  made  the  grade
   And  though  the  news  was  rather  sad
   Well  I  just  had  to  laugh “…

she  explained  to  me  that  the  expression  “made  the  grade”…
was…  in  such  context…  meaning…  “he  was  able  to  pass”…
in  the  sense  of  “he  was  able  to  pass  to  another  dimension”…
in  other  words…   “he  died”…

and…  so…  I  was  always  receiving  from  her…  all  these  teachings…
in  a  natural  and  calm  way…
learning…  not  only  english…
but  several  other  subjects…

after  receiving  this  initial   “jump-start”  from  her…
from  that  point  on…  I  used  to  be  able  to  do  the  learning…  by  myself…

in  this  way…   I  started  to  feel  pleasure  studying…
I  felt  comfortable  studying…

also…   because…    I  realized…
that  the  studies…   are  like  a  key…
which  gives  us  access  to   new  horizons…

for  instance…
nowadays…  I  know  fairly  well  the  portuguese-language…  and  english…

but…  if  someday…  I  decide  to  go…  for  instance…  to  europe…
or  to  an  island  colonized  by  france…
if…  I  plan  ahead…  and  start  to  study  french…
this  knowledge…  would  give  me  conditions…
to  be  able  to  communicate  with  people…
from  the  french-speaking  countries...

in  other  words…   knowledge  allows  us  to  have  access  to  people…
places…  etc…
in  a  fulfilled  way…    in  a  profound  way…

but  this  doesn’t  mean…
that  we  have  to  know  all  the  knowledge  of  the  world…
this  is…  obviously...  impossible…

but…  with  my  mother’s  help…
I  started  to  feel  comfortable  studying…
I  started  to  feel…  that  I  was  able  to  get  a  book…
read  it…    understand  it…  
and  enjoy  the  lessons  apprehended  from  the  book…

as  time  passed  by…    I  realized…   also…   that  not  every  book  is  good…
it’s  important  to  be  able  to  select…     things  which  deserves  our  attention…
from  the  ones  that  don’t…

I’m  stopping  here…
with  a  huge…   a  very-huge…
super-tight…   super-hug…
in  both  of  you…

see  you  soon…
warm  yourself  up…
winter  is  coming…

a  big  hug…
your  father…
                           …luis antonio…