...4... philosophising part four... ( 4 out of 18 )...

dear  son  taue…
dear  son  peter…

we  were  in  rio-de-janeiro  at  age  eight…
going  to  school  by  trolley-bus…
together  with  my  sister  clarice  who  was  four-years-old…
and…  on  the  way  back…  I  preferred  to  walk  home…
since  the  money  of  the  trolley-bus-ticket…
was  spent  on  the  pop-corn-little-bag…

my  life  together  with  the  group  of  kids  on  the  street…
was  pretty  good…

we  used  to  live  near  the  “jockey  club  do  brasil”…
where  the  people  who  had  money…  used  to  go  there  and  have  fun…
gambling  on  the  horse-races…
one  day…  one  of  the  kids  of  our  group…  had  an  idea…
he  proposed  that  we  could  spend  the  whole  sunday…
of  the  “grande  premio  brasil”…
each  one  of  us…  with  a  flannel  duster…
taking  care  of  the  cars...  of  the  people  who  went  there  to  gamble…

that  was  the  first  time  I  worked  in  my  life…
although  I’m  not  sure  if  we  can  call  this…  work…
the  cars  were  coming  around  noon  time…
they  parked  on  the  streets  of  the  neighborhood…
we  helped  the  drivers  to  maneuver  their  cars  into  the…
narrow  slots  parallel  to  the  side-walk…

at  the  very  end  of  the  gambling  section  of  the  “grande  premio  brasil”…
that  was  the  time  of  our  real  activity…
we  had  to  go  from  one  car  to  another…
trying   to  get  the  tips…
they  were  so  many…  at  the  same  time…
that…  many  of  them…  just  went  away…
it  was  like  the  end  of  a  movie-section…
at  a  certain  instant  “X”…
everybody  leaves  at  the  same  time…

well…  after  that…
we  counted  all  the  money  collected…
and…  we  purchased  a  leather-soccer-ball   “G-18”…
I  still  remember  the  model  of  the  ball:   “G-18”…

---   ---   ---

at  age  ten…
my  family  moves  back  to  recife…

this  time…  we  were  living  in  the  house  of  my  grandfather…
the  father  of  my  father…

he  had  just  passed  away…
and…  that  was  the  first  (and  only)  time  that  I  saw  my  father  crying…
he  was  crying  out  loud…
saying…
“this  is  terrible…”
“this  is  terrible…”
and…  my  mother  was  at  his  side...  comforting  him…

a  scene  of  tenderness…
of  love  between  my  father…  and  my  mother…
something  rare…
because…  usually…  they  were  fighting…  almost  all  the  time…
for  some  silly  reason  like…
“you  left  the  window  open…”
( my  father  complaining  to  my  mother…
  when  he  was  coming  home  from  work…
  usually…  tired  and  bad-tempered…)
“you  were  probably  reading  the  "Time-magazine”…”
( he…  complaining  of  the  fact  that  she…  (according  to  him…)…
   used  to  spend  all  day  reading  the  “Time-magazine”…)…

---   ---   ---

my  grandfather  had  passed  away  recently…
and…  soon  after…  my  grandmother…  also…

they  used  to  live  in  recife…
in  a  big  house…
with  an  enormous  yard…
full  of  trees…
in  a   street  called  amelia…

since  my  grandparents  had  passed  away…
the  house  became  kind  of  empty…
and...  a  cousin  of  mine  called  mariana…
was  living  there  together  with  one  of  my  grandmother’s  sisters…
whose  name  was  tia lurdes…

so…  my  parents  decided  to  move  from  rio-de-janeiro  back  to  recife…
because…  since  the  house  of  my  grandparents  was…  almost  empty…
we  could  live  there…

at  this  point…  something  interesting  happened…
I…  had  to  go  to  recife…   earlier  than  my  family…
because  I  had  an  entrance  exam  ( in  order  to  be  able  to  enroll  myself  at  school )…
on  a  certain  day…  which  was  about  two  months  earlier…
than  the  time  my  family  was  supposed  to  move…

and  that  was  when…  for  the   first  time  in  my  life…  I  travelled  by  plane…
and...  all  by  myself…  with  age  ten…  going  from  rio  to  recife…
( but  my  father  knew  a  friend  of  him…
   who  was  travelling  on  the  same  flight…
   and  so...  my  father  asked  him  to  accompany  me  during  the  trip…)

arriving  at  the  airport  in  recife…
I  found...  waiting  for  me:
my  uncle  marcos  ( my  father’s  brother…  who  later  became  a  politician…
and…  even  later…  a  senator…)…  and  his  wife  carolina…

from  that  point  on…  a  very  new  phase  in  my  live  just  started…
me…  at  amelia  street…  in  company  of  my  cousin  mariana…
and  of  tia lurdes…

they  used  to  watch  soap-opera  in  the  evening…
and...  for  the  first  time  in  my  life…
I  “dove”  into  the  world  of  “soap-operas”…
fictitious  stories…   virtual  stories…
but  they  were  able  to  put  myself  in  contact  with  a  certain  “reality”  of  life…
which  I  wasn't  used  to...

later  on  I  could  realize  that…
many  of  these  dramas  from  the  soap-operas…
can  indeed  happen…  in  the  real  world…

should  we  stop  here…?
we  should  stop  here…

see  you  soon…
with  tenderness…
your  father…
                           …luis antonio…